I am reminded of this because of a recent client meeting. If you are involved in a motor vehicle crash, and you are injured, you may be able to receive compensation for your injuries from the other driver’s auto insurance policy. However, that driver may not have insurance, or may have minimal coverage that will not pay your medical bills.

In New York State, the minimum personal injury coverage is $25,000 per person and $50,000 total per occurrence. But, what if you are catastrophically injured as a result of a careless driver, and that driver is only carrying that minimum coverage? Fortunately, there is a solution: your insurance carrier can add a term to your policy that will cover you should you receive that full, albeit inadequate, recovery from the other driver.

Most policies sell Underinsured Motorist/Uninsured Motorist (UIM/UM) policies as part of your auto insurance. You can easily get at least $250,000-500,000 in additional coverage. This extra coverage is relatively inexpensive, and can be purchased when you set up or renew a policy.

It is important that you check your policy, and see if you have UIM/UM coverage as a part of your auto insurance policy. If you don’t have it, call your agent and get as much as you can. It may be the difference in receiving a full recovery and financial hardship from uninsured medical expenses.

If you are seriously injured in a motor vehicle crash, call my office. I have represented those injured in motor vehicle crashes for over 20 years.